Another useful suggestion is to develop an internal risk management certification for employees working in high-risk activities. This will ensure staff working in high-risk activities, like manufacturing, trading, insurance, security and others possess adequate risk management skills and remain cognizant of the risks associated with their work.
Certification programmes may be developed internally or outsourced. Depending on the high-risk activity the certification may be high level or in-depth, in any case, it should test:
- Understanding of legal obligations;
- Awareness of risks in the workplace;
- Ability to make quality decisions under uncertainty;
- Understanding the protocol for communicating and escalating risks;
- Evidence of moral and ethical behaviour.
HERE IS A QUICK CHECKLIST TO TURN THIS SECTION INTO ACTIONS
|Identify high-risk areas in the workplace|
|Discuss with HR the possibility of an internal certification programme for high-risk activities|
|Develop an internal certification programme together with the employees working in high-risk activities and external experts|